Holiday Home Safety
Don't let the rush and excitement of the holiday season make you careless in protecting your home from potential criminals.
The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. The following tips from the Macon Police Department Youth and Intervention Division can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
- Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
- Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.